Yes, you can change the grid spacing on your Window 8 desktop, for this you would have to read on to know how the spacing can be changed.
1. Do a right-click on Modern UI screen > select All apps.
2. Click on Run and then type in regedit and click OK.
3. Then you would get the User Account Control for which you have to click on Yes.
4. Then in your windows side pane, click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER then select Control Panel, then Desktop and then WindowMetrics.
5. Double-click on IconSpacing which is the horizontal icon spacing as well as IconVerticalSpacing which is the vertical icon spacing.
6. This way the icon spacing can be adjusted. Make sure that the parameters are always between -480 and -2750. Then log off your computer and then log in. This way the icons can be rearranged.